AREVA

AREVA supplies solutions for carbon-free power generation. Its expertise and know-how in this field are setting the standard, and its responsible development is anchored in a process of continuous improvement. As the global nuclear industry leader, AREVA's unique integrated offer to utilities covers every stage of the fuel cycle, including nuclear reactor design and construction, and related services.  The group is also expanding considerably in renewable energies - wind, solar, bioenergies, hydrogen, and storage.  
 
AREVA created the global AREVA Renewables group in 2006 as an expansion of its clean energy portfolio with renewable energy. This group represents four business lines: concentrated solar power, offshore wind power, biomass power, and hydrogen power storage and distribution.
 
In February 2010, AREVA formed AREVA Solar with its acquisition of US-based Ausra, a provider of concentrated solar power solutions using Compact Linear Fresnel Reflector technology. Headquartered in Mountain View, California, AREVA Solar operates a 5MWe solar power plant in Bakersfield, California, at its Kimberlina Solar Thermal Energy Plant development facility. AREVA Solar markets its solar boiler technology in three formats: as a standalone solar power plant generating 50MW+ of electricity, as a solar booster (20-50MW) adding solar steam power to an existing fossil-fuel power plant for carbon mitigation, and as an industrial steam provider for food, oil, desalination and other processes.

In 2007 AREVA purchased 51% of offshore wind turbine manufacturer Multibrid .  In June 2010, AREVA purchased the remaining 49% and formed AREVA Wind. At its Bremerhaven, Germany, manufacturing facility, AREVA Wind produces 5MW wind turbines specifically designed and sealed for offshore environments. The company designs, manufactures, assembles and commissions its wind turbines, blades and masts, with existing placements being in the North Sea.

AREVA is the global leader in the production and operation of biomass power plants with 97 plants worldwide generating 2,900 MW of electricity. Biomass power plant locations include Brazil, Chile, Germany, India and Thailand. The bulk of the company’s operations are through its Brazilian subsidiary, AREVA Koblitz, which builds biomass power plants based on bagasse (organic waste from sugar cane) and low power hydroelectric plants. In the United States, AREVA formed a partnership with Duke Energy in September 2008, named ADAGE, to build and operate 55MW biomass power plants based on clean wood waste collected during sustainable forestry operations.

Worldwide, the AREVA group has an industrial presence in 40 countries and its commercial network reaches more than 100 countries. It employs 48,000 people.  In 2006, Fortune Magazine reported that AREVA was the "Most Admired Global Energy Company."
Submit